Monday, February 8, 2010

Soapbox: Public Sniffles

Photo by Andrew Davidhazy, School of Photo Arts and Sciences/RIT.

I get infuriated when children cough and sneeze without covering.  It's even more infuriating when adults do it.  Riding the Skytrain, walking through malls, making my coffee.  It happens all around me. And I feel personally offended. How dare you subject me to your sickness!  It seems that, in spite the SARS and swine flu epidemics, the germ theory has not been fully integrated into the Thai public's understanding of disease transmission.  If the Thai Ministry of Health doesn't get on the case, I think a guerrilla campaign should be waged. Posters, graffitti, megaphones!

In the meantime, do your part and cough and sneeze into the crook of your elbow. Because, really, how often do your open a door or shake hands using the inside of your elbow?  If you must sneeze in your hand, for the good of all pleasepleaseplease don't hold onto that pole on the Skytrain!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails