Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Yiddish Tuesday: Shaina maideleh

This week's word is:

Shaina maideleh (SHAY-neh MAY-del-eh):  n. Pretty girl

Sophie Blackall illustrates the messages people post in the "Missed Connections" section of Craigslist.  Blackall  describes these notes as "the modern equivalents" of "messages in bottles, smoke signals, letters written in the sand".  Here is the text that inspired this drawing: 

Tuesday, October 6, 2009
-m4w (L train to Manhattan)
You were reading Catch-22 on the subway this morning. I have never seen such a beautiful profile. I wanted to say hi, but then you’d turn towards me and I wouldn’t be able to look at your profile anymore. You were so into your book, I don’t think you noticed me falling in love with you. But I thought I’d ask, just in case. 


P.S. I returned last night from a wonderful, albeit brief time in London and will post about it later.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails