Thursday, January 28, 2010

Roselle is Another Name for Hibiscus


I just learned that today.  All those times when I've wondered about the origins of the roselle drinks sold on the streets of Bangkok and found on menus in restaurants!  It's simply sweetened hibiscus tea, which I also learned is great for treating hypertension, high cholesterol, and water retention, and is high in vitamin C (though, the sugar added by the sweet-tooth Thais probably decreases the drink's nutritional value).  I discovered this after looking in the mirror this morning and discovering my face was puffy, my eyelids heavy.  Perhaps it's the crazy jet-lag fatigue I'm experiencing (I fell asleep at my desk yesterday) or the fact that my body is so turned upside down by the time changes that my eating habits have been erratic.  Anyway, I realize I need to drink more water, stop eating so much sugar and salt, and reinstate daily runs.

A bit of hibiscus tea would be nice, too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails