Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Powder Days and Powderfinger


After college, I lived for a couple of years as a ski bum.  It was a life free of challenges, which was exactly what I wanted after spending sixteen years in school.  I lived in a community populated by others who were seeking the same thing and soon found myself in a relationship with an Australian (the first of many) who not only didn't want to tax his brain, but may not have even finished high school.  It lasted much longer than either of us had anticipated and was replete with thrilling daily ski breaks on the mountain, lazy beer-drinking nights and weekends, and adventurous travel during the off season.  In retrospect, what I think I gained most from that relationship was learning about the Australian radio station, Triple J, which compiles annual volumes of the year's "Hottest 100" songs based on listeners' online and SMS votes.  Apparently, it's one of the largest public music polls in the world!  Most of the songs are pop singles, but there are some sleepers in there by little-known artists, many of whom are Ozzies.  

I was looking for last year's compilation to listen to online and, while not available on iTunes, I discovered this blog, where you can listen to Triple J's Hottest 100 Of All Time for free!  Yay!

P.S. These poppy Triple J albums make excellent running mixes!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails