Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ho Ho Homemade Granola!

With recipe in hand, this morning, I went scouting for the wholesome goodness that is needed to make my mom's granola.  Success! I found everything except soy nuts, so was pretty happy.  I even managed to find the jars I had my heart set on (and they were only B89)!

   Jane's Granola
  • 6-8 c rolled oats
  • 1 c each: unsalted sunflower seed, soy nuts, sesame seeds, wheat germ, unsweetened coconut, nuts
  • 1 c honey
  • 1 c vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c raisins or other dried fruit
  1. Toast oats for 10 minutes at 350 degrees
  2. Mix with dry ingredients
  3. Add honey, oil, and vanilla and mix thoroughly with hands
  4. Roast for 20-25 minutes at 350 in two batches, stir ocassionally 
  5. Remove from oven and add raisins
  6. Spoon into jars and cool with lids off
 I added one cup of chopped dates in addition to the raisins.
The recipe made less than I had hoped, filling only four jars.
Handmade gift cards. B10 each at a street fair.  
 
Ta da!
 ***
On another note, T and I had a talk last night.  He is going to keep his smoking to a bare minimum and try to wear the patch when I'm around.  I felt hopeful when he said he was thinking that when he's ready to quit, he's considering using prescription drugs to help him along.  This is a huge turn around from his previous position of only subscribing to the use of Allen Carr's book on the road to quitting.  (I HATE Allen Carr.)  I know that success is much more likely when medication is used in conjunction with counseling, so this change thrills me.

Whoo.  I'm done with my rant.  I hope Santa brings me a cigarette-free T for Christmas this year.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails